Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Parenting is hard enough so don’t fill your kids head with bullshit!


Remembering asking your parents ALL those questions, I do. I must have drove my dad freaking crazy but he always answered them with the honest truth no matter what the question and no matter what my age was or how inappropriate the rest of the world thought his answers might be.. Believe me I was a well educated 10 year old. As a kid I knew who to go to if I wanted the real truth. No candy coating, no sugar just cold facts and straight talk. I think my dad had something however that worked.  I think the opposite is a great mistake that is to put a child off with falsehoods and nonsense just because the question is difficult or embarrassing to answer.  When a child is young and their growing keen sense of observation is at its peak during the very early years of life this is the time to educate your child about life.  

But let’s be real here I am not talking about a telling a 4 year old about the bird and the bees unless of course he/she is asking. I am just saying when a four year old asks where do babies come from, just keep it simple, tell  the truth and not "babies get delivered by a stork"  You don’t have to go into detail unless of course the questions continue as they often do with 4 year olds.  My point is keep it real, simple but most importantly keep it truthful and honest. Please don’t be one of those parents or grandparents that tells your kid a long tale and by tale I mean falsehood. Kids remember this crap and for years go on believing it’s real because a trusted person in their life told them so. Be responsible when telling your stories make sure those little minds know the ones that are fiction and non-fiction.


Do you have a story about your childhood or falsehood someone told you that you believed to be true and later found out it to be false.. Not Santa! We all had that one….
Tell us about it, we would all love to hear about it.

Thank you for stopping by my blog today, please follow along by adding your name to the follow list on the left side of this blog.  

Me with dad and teacher... sure miss him.

No comments: