Thursday, April 26, 2012

Are YOU to OLD for College? Are you willing to Pay for it into your Golden Years!


I was contemplating going back to college even at my age, I know REALLY! Most anyone would agree you can never be too educated, right? There’s always more to learn and I have a great thirst for knowledge.  Love to read, write so I thought I’d take up creative writing get some skills I am clearly lacking, you know the small stuff like proper English. I looked into some schools that offer creative writing for entertainment… OUCH the cost is insanely high. Are they freaking crazy and this was an online Bachelor’s program “Creative Writing for Entertainment Bachelors of Fine Arts”. The idea of doing this would be incredible and so much fun. But the wind in my sails were quickly depleted by the cost of $58,500 for the 3.3 years it would take to complete.  An online program so why isn’t it less expensive, no classroom, no books, I don’t get it! I would think it could be less expensive.  But no such luck!

I talk with young adults who have student loan debt all the time and I know the agony they are put through trying to pay back these education expenses and the many years it takes. Most young people don’t even have a concept of how much money this is and yet they are allowed to take on this debt. Many ruin their credit in the process. The estimated salary for my choice above once I graduate is $28,070 – $105,710, the upper end of that would be if I hit the lotto of writing jobs. Is it worth the cost, not in my world?  

It’s been a long time since I’ve looked into the real cost of college, I checked out some local community colleges too, less expensive but they didn’t offer the same course study as the one above and not nearly as exciting, I can see the draw for people to take on the debt. If I wasn’t facing retirement in 10 years I probably would too! Education should be FREE or on a sliding scale.There might be more smart people in this wonderful country… just sayin
 
For me I’ll have to continue on, making my grammar and English mistakes with the best of them and hope to just enjoy the fact I have the ability to write what I want, when I want in a free country.

Thank you for stopping by my blog, your comments and ideas are welcomed and encouraged. Come back soon and don’t forget to follow my blog by clicking on the follow button on the left.

Roxy

No comments: